Thursday, April 12, 2012

Choices


In this land of the fat and happy we have a veritable smorgasbord of choices laid bare for our perusal and discernment. Pickings might be a little slimmer these days for many in the good old USA, but nevertheless we remain one of the most affluent people’s on the planet.  Food, job, education, rulers, religion - any flavor under the sun you crave: choices - even where we opt to hang our hat remains a possibility limited only by our means and dreams. We pick and choose and roll with the consequences; ‘tis the American way. 

But what about the choices we don’t have? Those non-arbitrary dictates the universe has plopped unceremoniously in our lap, and with which we’re expected to simply deal with; what of them?

We’re all familiar with the adage about getting to choose our friends but not being able to choose our family. Let’s take that just a step further...

What choice did we have in even being born and joining the ranks of humanity? And what onus do we - and should we - recognize as a consequence of this unbidden gift the fates granted us? Philosophers have been gnawing on that bone since the birth of imagination, no doubt. Why am I here and what am I supposed to do? I don’t promise to grant the answer to this oldest of questions - but I do have some thoughts the sages may tacitly approve of, and don’t require a PHD in philosophy to grasp.

Firstly - none of us on this planet are consciously aware of our choice to be here - at least in the circles I run in. If there was a line at the reincarnation window while my consciousness was choosing a future home in the galactic buffet - I frankly don’t remember it.

Second - our physical selves are just individual, conscious bags of mostly fluid shaped by disproportionate measures of nature and nurture. Period. The myriad hues, shades and features that help us discern one another are just that:  markers that separate us from the rest of the herd —  but in no way establish a pecking order of worth or merit.

Third - and this one sticks in the craw of many - we all have a soul that transcends the limitations of these bags of multi-hued fluids; a consciousness that will prevail when the expiration date on this bag of juice eventually expires. If you can’t buy that, I recommend reading the hundreds of thousands of near death experiences penned over the centuries. If you’re too obtuse to acknowledge your own soul, then perhaps this blog isn’t for you - and I recommend you opt for a simpler existence the next time you’re standing in the reincarnation line; perhaps a few millennia as a rock might enlighten you to the magical wonders within.

But what do these simplistic fundamentals have to do with our purpose while we’re here?

When my daughter was born the universe didn’t give me a manual on how to coax her through adolescence onwards to adulthood. There were no Cliff’s notes on how to be a good daddy. I had all my innate, nature-nurture tools and my own experience to put to use as best I could; plus the fortunate sense to garner the wisdom and guidance of those around me in achieving the goal of raising her right. I’ve bumbled and stumbled - but she’s still kicking and thriving - in spite of my missteps.

Our dance with one another on the face of this planet is no different. We have the priceless treasure of a measureless collective of knowledge and wisdom right in front of our faces every day in the billions of souls surrounding us, and within the tomes of experience recorded by generations past.  The trick is getting beyond the unyielding doctrines and borders that woefully separate us from the benefits of collective wisdom; blinding us to the unlimited potentials of love, peace and a harmonious path of mutual benefice.

If we simplify our thoughts and recognize our kinship and equality - I believe our unified consciousness will lead us down paths of extraordinary opportunities we can only dream of - and it may open doors that afford us the recognition of others in this universe that tread similar rough and awkward paths on their way to better things.

I believe the growing pains of humanity will eventually pass - in spite of the choices we can and cannot make.  Choose wisely, friends - and embrace the open mind.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, would that we could all get along regardless of our differences. If only...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love embracing naive idealism, Guy! But a guy's gotta dream big, brother! :0)

      Delete
  2. You really make it seem really easy with your presentation but I to find this matter
    to be really something that I feel I would by no means understand.
    It sort of feels too complicated and very huge for me.
    I'm looking ahead to your next submit, I'll attempt to get
    the dangle of it!

    Also visit my web-site ... rapid weightloss

    ReplyDelete